Your role is essential to our success! You’ll be helping to build and maintain a back-end API that serves over 250,000 new users per month and over 1,500,000 requests per day. Our customers expect reliability, stability and speed. You’ll be pushing updates every day to improve our codebase and be able to see instant feedback from our customers & users.
We use Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL on top of a few AWS services. Our approach is Agile, test heavy and we push releases as soon as they’re ready, typically more than 10 a week.
You won’t be doing this alone as we have a world-class product team you’ll be working with. You’ll have support from a designer, a front-end engineer, a senior back-end engineer and our Chief Technology Officer will be responsible for the work that you do. We’ll be expecting high quality work but don’t worry – you’ll receive constructive feedback and guidance on a regular basis. We meet every day and everybody has input and the ability to make our work and the way we work better.
You’ll have a lot of decision making power, autonomy and trust. We make decisions democratically and give team members the time, resource and authority to work on what they think is most important.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a fast growing, profitable startup where there are many opportunities to obtain promotions based upon merit, hard work and dedication.
Compensation & Benefits
- £40,000+ salary.
- Flexible hours.
- Remote work (we’re flexible on times and places) with a strong preference for ~GMT.
- A close, dedicated startup team who are passionate about improving the education system and who are backed by some of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital investors.
- 2 hours per week (paid) to spend learning anything you like, even if it’s not related to your role, plus a budget to spend on learning materials. We love education and we believe in nurturing your growth!
- A promise to invest in your growth personally and professionally. Wherever you’d like to go and whatever you’d like to do we’ll be there to support you.
- Fast promotion opportunities. We’ve got a track record for internal promotion to senior roles within the first year of employment.
- Pension scheme.
- 28 days holiday.
Your skills & competencies
We are looking for you to demonstrate to us that you have these skills & competencies:
- Rails experience. Has used Rails professionally for at least 2 years.
- Learns quickly. Demonstrates the ability to quickly absorb and make use of new information. Can research best practices and make use of them.
- Enthusiastic. Wants to learn and grow, is excited to take on new challenges.
- Independent Problem solving. Is able to independently solve difficult technical problems & provide solutions or work arounds. Asks for help when they need it but tries to solve things themselves.
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks and slow or jeopardize a release.
- Organization & Planning & Independence. Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient manner. Knows which priorities are important and chooses to work on those. Doesn’t need constant input but is able to ask for help when needed.