A credential is a qualification or achievement that a person has earned, which is used to indicate their suitability or skill within a particular subject. These credentials are visualized by issuing certificates or badges.
Some examples of credentials are:
- University degrees
- Completion certificate’s for online courses
- Certificate’s of attendance from a conference or event
- Certificate’s for collecting a certain amount of points from a professional association.
For example there are three types of people:
- Issuers like Universities, colleges, schools, online course providers or associations that give out credentials for achieving things.
- Recipients like students, that receive credentials from Issuers.
- Employers who want to see credentials in order to verify that a recipient has learnt something or gained a qualification from an Issuer.